2019 Official Derby Rules
Please Read the Rules Carefully, Especially in Regards to Check-In.
The derby judges will not enter fish if the rules are not followed. Personnel at the weigh-in stations may not make exceptions to the rules.
Dates & Fees
- The first derby weekend commences at 7:00 AM, Saturday, August 17, 2019, continuing 36 hours until Sunday, August 18, 2019 at 7:00 PM.
- The second derby weekend commences at 7:00 AM, Saturday, August 24, 2019, continuing 36 hours until Sunday, August 25, 2019 at 7:00 PM.
- The third derby weekend commences at 7:00 AM, Saturday, August 31, 2019, continuing 60 hours until Monday, September 2, 2019 at 7:00 PM, which represents the end of the 2019 derby.
- Derby judges will operate weigh-in stations until 7:00 PM each derby day. Positively no entry will be accepted beyond this time. Fish not on the weigh-in dock by 7:00 PM can be entered the following day if that is an authorized derby day. No entries will be accepted prior to 7:00 AM each derby day.
- The derby committee assumes no responsibility for changes in schedules beyond their control.
- Individual ticket price is $35. Children under the age of sixteen are eligible for the youth prize
ladder while fishing with any valid derby ticket holder and will be issued their own “youth ticket” to be eligible for the youth prize ladder. Any child under the age of 16 that wants to be eligible for prizes on the adult ladder must have their own individual derby ticket. Duplicate tickets are $5.
- Areas open for fishing are as listed in the derby boundaries description and on the map in the official derby brochure.
- Any fish known to be caught outside of derby boundaries will be automatically disqualified as well as the angler submitting the entry.
Conditions of Participation
Each contestant fishing the adult prize ladder must have their derby ticket punched at an official weigh-in station prior to fishing each weekend. Ticket punching will be available at 6:45 AM the Saturday of each derby weekend. Ticket punching will be available at 7:00 AM the other derby days.
Fish entered on derby days are the property of the individual contestant.
Contestants must hook and play every fish, unaided, except for gaffing and netting.
Entries must be caught according to Alaska Sportfishing regulations. All contestants 16 years of age and older must be in possession of a valid Alaska sport fishing license, unless the angler holds an Alaska Department of Fish & Game permanent fishing license.
Snagged fish are not eligible for entry into the derby. All entries must be hooked in the mouth, with bait or artificial lures used to entice the salmon to strike the hook.
Contestants are prohibited from fishing from a boat with commercial gear in use or engaged in
commercial fishing. A derby contestant may not enter a derby fish on the same day that he or she has been commercial fishing.
A contestant who interferes with another angler in any manner may be subject to disqualification.
Non-contestants may ride in the same boat as derby contestants but are prohibited from fishing.
All photographs taken by judges at the time of weigh-in or while participants are on the water
become the sole property of the Ketchikan CHARR Salmon Derby and may be used in the future promotional materials without compensation to the individual(s) in the photographs.
All members of Ketchikan CHARR Salmon Derby Committee and the Salmon Derby judges are
eligible to participate in the derby.
The Ketchikan Salmon Derby Committee and others participating in the sponsorship of this derby accept no responsibility for damages or injuries sustained by contestants. As a condition of, and in consideration of, the acceptance of their entries therein, all contestants and their parents or guardians shall be deemed to agree and assume all risks of injury to the competitor’s property and person, resulting from, caused by, or connected with the conduct and management of the competition, and to release any and all claims which they may have against officials, the Ketchikan Salmon Derby, and organizations that take part in the sponsorship of this Derby. Participation is accepted only on these conditions.
All legal coho (silver) salmon presented at a derby weigh-in station shall be weighed. A derby judge who feels a rules violation has occurred shall contest the entry by making note of the alleged violation on the weigh-in form. The Derby Committee will make a final ruling as to the eligibility of any contested entry. The decisions of the Derby Committee are final in any contested matter.
Only lawful sport fishing tackle may be used. Spearing of fish is not allowed.
Derby Conclusion & Certification
At the close of derby, the derby committee shall make its unofficial results available on the derby website.
Any derby ticket holder may contest an entry appearing on the derby ladder by submitting a written protest to the derby committee within seven calendar days from the close of the derby. The protest must include the alleged rule(s) violation and list corroborating witnesses (if any) that can substantiate the violation. The derby committee shall investigate each written protest and respond to all parties in writing as to its decision in the matter.
Derby certification shall take place no less than seven days, and no more than fourteen days, from the close of the derby.
- All prizes and prize packages must be accepted in their entirety. Any unclaimed prizes shall
be dispensed at the sole discretion of the derby committee.
- Contestants are limited to one ladder prize. Contestants that place on the derby ladder are
eligible for all special prizes and daily drawings. The first fish entered will have priority on the prize lists in the case of identical weights. Children under the age of 16 that hold their own individual derby tickets are not eligible for prizes on the youth ladder. No one under the age of 16 may appear on both the adult and the youth ladder simultaneously.
- Following certification, the derby committee will notify winners by mail at the address listed on the contestant’s derby ticket. Prizes not claimed 30 days from the date notification is sent will be forfeited. The committee may also use telephone (for contestants with listed numbers) or e-mail (if available) to notify contestants.
- Fish entered in any other public fishing derby will not be eligible for entry in the Ketchikan Salmon Derby.
- All hidden weight prizes are determined by ‘less-than-or-equal-to’.
- The derby committee is not responsible for uncollected prizes.
- The values shown on the prize list are approximate only. The Derby Committee will not be held responsible for donors’ estimated values. IRS 1099 forms will be issued in accordance to IRS guidelines to all prize recipients. IRS and State of Alaska Gaming forms must be signed by the prize recipient before prizes are distributed. The committee may disqualify anyone who fails to provide necessary tax-related information from participation in future derbies.
- All prizes and prize packages must be accepted in their entirety. Any unclaimed prizes shall
- Grand Prize
- All derby participants, including anyone holding an individual derby ticket, or children under the age of sixteen fishing with a valid derby ticket holder, are eligible for the derby’s grand prize. The grand prize winner is not eligible for derby ladder prizes on either the adult ladder or the youth ladder but remains eligible for daily drawing prizes and special prize categories.
- Adult Prize Ladder
- Only valid ticket holders are eligible for prizes on the adult ladder. Anyone wanting a child under sixteen years of age to be eligible for prizes on the adult ladder must purchase that child his/her own individual derby ticket. A child holding his/her own individual ticket is not eligible for prizes on the youth ladder.
- Prize packages in the prize list must be accepted as offered. Participants holding one of the thirty top places on the adult derby ladder will be eligible to choose their prize package, chosen in the order they appear on the ladder during the awards ceremony, except as outlined in Prize 4(C)iii. A prize winner may designate a proxy to represent them at the awards ceremony if they are unable to attend. Designation of a proxy will be in writing and will be signed by the prize winner. Eligible participants not present or represented by a proxy during the prize selection will be award the highest prize package available at the time.
- The angler in 30 th place at the close of the derby will automatically be awarded the prize designated by the Derby Committee as 30 th place. No other angler on the derby ladder will have the ability to choose that prize, regardless of their placement on the derby ladder.
- Youth Prize Ladder
- Any child under the age of sixteen years old fishing with a valid derby ticket holder is eligible to enter fish on the youth ladder. A Youth Ticket will be issued to the child upon entering a fish. Youth must be accompanied by a valid ticket holder to be issued a Youth Ticket.
- Prize packages in the list must be accepted as offered. Participants holding one of the top 10 places on the youth ladder will be eligible to choose their prize package, chosen in the order they appear on the youth ladder during the awards ceremony. A child’s legal parent or guardian may represent them as a proxy without written authorization. The designation of a proxy other than a child’s legal parent or guardian must be done in writing and be signed by the child’s legal parent or guardian. Eligible participants not present or represented by a proxy during the prize selection will be awarded the highest-valued prize package available at the time.